Pablo Cartaya is the author of the forthcoming middle-grade books, The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora and Marcus Vega Doesn’t Speak Spanish (Viking Children’s Books/Penguin Random House), and the co-author of the picture book, Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes (Random House Children’s Books).
Pablo has been a guest lecturer at Florida International University’s Exile Studies Program, visited schools throughout the northeast and South Florida, and hosted many literary events throughout the region. Pablo has led the development of various literary programs through The Betsy-South Beach's Philanthropy, Arts, Culture, and Education programs and has served on many panels and presentations. He holds an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts and a BA from Loyola Marymount University and currently serves as lead faculty for at Sierra Nevada College's low residency MFA in the Writing for Children and Young Adults track. He calls Miami home.
1) I write entire drafts long hand before typing it on a computer.
2) I was in sitcoms and commercials in English and Spanish including co-starring on NBC’s “Will & Grace”.
3) I was Ricky Martin’s body double in a music video.
4) I did Spanish voice overs for South Park.
5) I was a bottle dancer in the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" in college
6) My dad is a veteran of The Bay of Pigs.
7) I worked in professional kitchens and restaurants for a long time – I’ve done practically every job.
8) I love the Miami Heat – like seriously, I’m kind of a fanatic.
9) I’ve met and hung out with a lot of really cool people but the coolest is probably Amy Tan. Queen Latifah is a pretty close second.
10) If I were going to choose another career I would probably want to be a jazz singer and pianist.
(My editor recommended I put up photos of me as a kid and my mom jumped at the opportunity!)